2017 Autumn in Tokyo

by - 12:03 AM

Hello guys! I'm back here as promised to blog about my November Japan trip in 2017 (nevermind the fact that I never actually finished blogging about my trip in 2015 but oh well doesn't matter). So for those of you who didn't know, I purchased tickets for Japan for Vincent and I at the start of last year from Jetstar as they were "free returns" deal. It was sort of a belated graduation trip I suppose and it was such a good deal it ended up saving us a significant amount of money. I hadn't gotten my annual leave approved yet (joys of full time life) but I went ahead and bought the tickets but also purchased a "flexi" package including:
- 20kg luggage both ways
-meals both ways 
-seat selection
-ability to change travel dates and passenger names

I think it ended up costing us like $461.40 per person (keeping in mind this was including the package) so we were quite happy. Anyhow, it gave me something to do for the year - planning our trip to japan to see the autumn foliage. 

Generally I think the best times to see autumn foliage in Japan are between September-December, depending on which areas you are planning to hit up. Cities in the Northern region of japan including Hokkaido tend to reach peak autumn season a bit earlier whereas down south, the best time is usually around November. 

Anyhow, I thought it might be nice to change up my blogging style a little - well to be just a bit more informational rather than blabbering on about random personal things I want to write. What do you guys think? :) With that out of the way though, lets move on to the actual trip itself.... Vincent and I departed for Japan on the 12th of November and our first stop was Tokyo! 

Akihabara, Harajuku & Pablo cheesecake 

So on the first day, I spent the morning at a beauty salon getting my eyelash extensions done because well, why not right? It's half the price of Australian salons for high quality lashes and well that way I didn't have to spend too long each morning looking nice for my travels. I booked through HotPepperJp (it's a japanese website which has discount coupons & ranks stores incl. beauty salons according to rank). We went straight to Akihabara afterwards, which is an "Otaku" area for people who love manga, anime & electronics etc. as it sells all those things as well as some uh eccentric mature items. 

Naturally, we had to visit a maid cafe. Unfortunately the one we went to was part of a large chain store company so it didn't feel too unique. 


We were made to wear animal ears and make cute cat sounds in Japanese every time our dishes came out, much to our amused embarrassment.


He's just a little bit cute. Sometimes. Not always, just sometimes. 


Lets just say... halfway through our meal a group of local businessmen came in to be served by the maids, didn't really think the rumours of maid-cafes being populated by older gentlemen were true but hey. At least our maid drew a cute cat on our Omu-rice.  


We spotted the Pablo cheesecake store as we were wandering about and tried a couple of their tarts which are supposedly quite popular with tourists/locals alike. 


I'm a sucker for limited edition stuff so I went for the purple sweet potato flavour. Vincent & I ended up liking this one better than the original though hahaha. It was sooo creamy, smooth & well-balanced flavours of sweet and savoury - the latter of which came from the cheese of course. 



 To be honest there isn't as much foliage areas to see in Tokyo city itself (well compared with Kyoto) so we spent most of the time doing the more "gimmicky" stuff like eating our way through all the raved about food stores. Not that we got through everything on our list but that leaves more exploration for next time! 

Cat Cafe MoCHA

We checked out a random cat cafe in harajuku called Cat cafe MoCHA since it looked quite nice interior wise - we were charged based on time but the fee included free continuous drinks (non-alcoholic of course). 
You additionally purchase cat snacks for feeding. It was kind of cool watching all the cats gather onto the mat to lick the "lollipop". 

I'm probably biased but I found the cats in this cafe  especially cute - I was expecting typical short-haired house cats. Contrary to my expectations however, many of the cats looked quite different and seemed to have a range of personalities.
 I am in love. 

I called this next one mr. Grumps for evident reasons. He was so spectacularly ugly that he was kind of cute. 


Vincent and I spent ages following this mini little one around because it was so adorable. We whipped out our go-pro to film all the cats and an american lady next to us struck up conversation about her love for her own cats back at home. CAT LOVERS UNITE. 
 
Extra points to this place for having cushions, bean bags & a sizeable collection of manga books as well as novels. It was a combination of all my favourite things - tea, books, cats and warm cosy areas to curl up in!! 


Thanks vincent for making all my cat dreams come true and for coming with me even though you've already been to one! 


Croquantchou Zakuzaku & Dominique Ansel Bakery 

We stumbled upon this dessert store by accident last time we were in japan and it was so delicious we decided to re-visit again at the harajuku store! Croquantchou Zakuzaku is most famous for its crunchy choux cream pastries that are filled with hokkaido-sourced custard fillings. They also sell some really delicious creamy vanilla soft serves! 


Didn't even know this place was thaaaat famous but we enjoyed it immensely last time so... yeah. This time the line was rather long though. It seems my boyfriend has a talent in finding nice food for us to consume hehe. 

Another place we visited was the Dominique Ansel bakery. The home store is actually in New York - founded by a french pastry chef who actually arguably invented cronuts! However the Omotesando branch in Japan is best known for a large variety of unique looking desserts. 
Their signature dishes include cronuts, cookie shots (cup made out of cookies and filled with milk), giant smores, watermelon ice-cream sandwiches & corn ice-cream. There were so many pastries and desserts to choose from it took us forever. In the end we went with our curiosities and tried two dishes which looked really interesting. 

Vincent got the Paris Tokyo, a matcha dessert limited only to the Japan branch of the bakery & I purchased the cookie shot as well as the Autumn religieuse as it was part of the seasonal menu. Mine was like a choux pastry filled with a pumpkin cream filling. Salivating now just thinking of it.
Paris Tokyo, Autumn Religieuse & Cookie Shot. 

Everything is a little on the dearer side of the wallet. However, considering they regularly create new dishes which both looked and tasted delicious, the price was worth it in my opinion. Would've loved to have tried their croissants and other famous desserts but alas we couldn't fit that many sweet things for breakfast! 


Maricar Tokyo Bay BBQ

Of course a trip to Tokyo wouldn't be complete without driving a mario kart all over the city! It's becoming an increasingly popular thing to do now, following a feature by a video on facebook. We booked online by contacting Maricar on their facebook with no problems. They spoke perfect english, replied prompty and allowed us to change our scheduled drive because the weather was shoddy on the initial date we booked it. 


For those wanting to know, there is a guide driver who leads you through the roads - I was worried initially because I hadn't familiarised myself with Japan's road rules and was worried about left behind. Vincent took the hit however, and offered to drive behind me so he ended up being the one stuck at red traffic lights while we kept driving ... aww thanks vincent. Thankfully we both survived to tell the tale! 
The guide stops to wait for you on the side of the road though & also periodically gets out of his kart to take free photos for you. Bless my Japanese Maricar guide who brought a torch with him for photo lighting hahahaha.
They send the photos to you at the end of the ride , it's no extra charge which is nice. We chose a 3hour tour as I wanted to see Odaiba, Tokyo Tower, Roppongi hills & rainbow bridge whilst we drove. Not that the bridge was actually rainbow... but you could drive faster there and the name is reminiscent of my childhood mario kart gaming days.  

Big thanks to the Maricar Tokyo Bay BBQ branch for the excellent experience. They even provided feather down jackets and safety glasses for the cold weather & wind - even going as far as storing our luggage for us in their staffroom. Thank you very much again! 

Anyhow..... thats just the highlights of our time in Tokyo - we were having so much fun that we forgot to take that many photos. We headed to Nikko as our next destination for the autumn foliage so I guess that'll be for my next post :3 Hopefully it hasn't been too long-winded a read. Until next time! 


Penny 






You May Also Like

0 comments