Monologue

by - 8:06 PM

Haha... I wrote my english monologue homework during badminton training this morning because I was tired from playing. It was meant to be 500-600 words or something though, thank goodness Ms. Gilmour didn't check :x Had to write it based upon one scene in The great Gatsby. Hm as long as I make myself like something I'm learning, I find that I tend to be able to do well :) Okay shall proceed to do just that. Looking forward to the holidays :3 But jenwen won't be there ): because she is going to taiwan aiyo. Anyway, here is my weak attempt at a monologue. 

Swallowing the feeling of nausea, I stood up quickly, excusing myself before stalking briskly back into the house after Tom. He was at that damned phone again, that fool of a hulking man. By the gods, must he torture me so? Masking an expression of gentleness, I floated forward, wrapping my slender arms around his tree-trunk of a waist. As I expected though, he acted oblivious to my presence and instead kept muttering into the phone. I tried again, snuggling into him before whispering, "Darling, the guests are waiting, perhaps we should get back soon?"

He turned around then, brushing me away as if I were nothing but spider silk draped over him. Such was the fate I suppose, of marrying a brute. He always had his own way after all- there was nothing I could do. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, that was pretty pathetic, how about I leave you guys with my To kill a mockingbird monologue ayes 8D Okay no one gives a crap ahem. Monologues in general are pretty boring to be honest :x Oh my, this is random but I have no idea what I want to do in the future ;_; 



ENG 101 ‘Reacting’
Unit 2: X versus Y


Scene: Inside the Finch house at night.

Aunt Alexandra is pacing around in her room after having excused herself from Jem’s room.


Aunt Alexandra: (paces slowly back and forth across the room) get a grip Alexandra; it’d do you no good at all fretting like this. (Grips the back of a chair while standing) You couldn’t even stay in Jem’s room long enough to hear the rest of what the sheriff had to say, goodness gracious, where are your nerves Alexandra? You couldn’t take it anymore could you, with the two children in the room and having the guilt on the edge of your mind, but honestly I really must stop. After all, that good country man fellow did bring Jem home alive even if he does have a…severely broken arm. I…to be honest if I had gone with them, things might have been different, if I wasn’t listening to the radio maybe I would’ve heard their cries for help…so much of what happened was my fault.   

(Mops forehead with handkerchief)

(Stands upright) Yes that’s right, that Bob Ewell…yes I’d always known he’d end up doing something like this someday with that terrible drinking habit of his. (Disapprovingly) He should’ve spent time being someone useful like Mr Heck Tate, helping out the folks, not stirring up trouble. That scandal there with his daughter and Tom Robinson, honestly anyone could tell he was lying. Though I can’t really say what my brother did was at all sensible, defending that black man against the whole town, (voice rises) what was he thinking, ruining the Finch reputation like that? (Sighs, fingers handkerchief and softens) But still, he is my brother after all, he did what he thought was right, putting justice first but really, I am just so tired of all this. (Looks up) What the children really need is some attention, especially Jean Louise; she really needs a proper lady to teach how to act properly, running around in overalls all day simply isn’t right for her.

(Rubs wrist vaguely and exhales)

I guess I really should’ve accompanied the children, (looks down at hands) you chose to rest at home Alexandra, instead of putting the safety of Finch children first. What you did was wrong and now look what’s happened, (looks out up and turns slowly to left) the state I found Jean Louise at, it really was heartbreaking to look at, the poor frightened face of hers… and Jem, he must have been through a horrible time. (Puts face into hands), well it’s all over now, the trial and Tom is dead, poor Helen. I just really hope we can settle down and pay more attention to the children. Yes, that’s what I must do, my brother, he needs some help with Jeremy and Jean Louise. They need some proper teaching, what Calpurnia can’t give them.

(Voice wavers)

We must get through this; I refuse to see Atticus being torn to pieces like this over court cases like Tom’s. Well now Bob Ewell is dead and I guess it is better like this, the children will be safe. Tom Robinson was innocent really, and everyone knew it, everything was just too muddled up and he really would’ve had a chance if he’d just stayed put.

(Shakes head and sighs)


What Atticus did, it really wasn’t the best choice, and he had his children to think of, instead of subjecting them to the madness of the thing with Tom Robinson. What’s done can’t be fixed, Alexandra Hancock, you (emphasis) really need to get over what happened, focus on teaching the children to speak properly like you do so they can become respected. Racism really is just too much in this town, (shrugs─ in resignation and exhales) but there is nothing we can do but pick up what’s left of the Finch’s reputation. (Rubs eyes tiredly) No doubt the blacks respect Atticus; I suppose he did help them to the best of his ability.  (Firmly) Your job is to stay and help him Alexandra; it’s your role now to take the place of the children’s mother. Yes, this is the only thing you can do now, teach them how to act proper…yes (voice wonders off), there is no point thinking about what would’ve happened if you’d been there with Jem and Jean Louise.  (Defeated soft tone) All I can hope to do now is help them, how things will turn out I don’t know (pause) but I just hope (pause) the rough part is over.

(Stares vaguely off in her own thoughts).


 Good night! :)  





You May Also Like

0 comments